Friday, April 24, 2009

Thursday Thirteen on Friday

I really suck at time management. Time slips away from me. I can't explain how. I can't explain why. I just know there are never enough hours in a single day for me to accomplish what I need to do. And that isn't even counting the things I want to do. But I try...

I planned on starting today's thirteen with my children, but the pictures didn't come up in the order that I planned and I don't want to do them over, and it would be a waste of time. So we start with;
1. Chef Duff and his staff at Charm City Cakes. If any of you watch the Food Network you might be familiar with the Ace of Cakes show. These multi-talented young artists can make cakes of any size, shape, breed, etc. You name it, they can make it into a cake. I love the dog cake in the picture below. I would love for someone to have a cake made for me from there. Can you just imagine a "quilt cake" That would be totally awesome. However, even though one of my sisters lives near Baltimore, location of Charm City Cakes, I don't see one in my future. Even their smallest cakes start at $1000.00. That is not a typo, I didn't add too many zeros. The cakes really do cost that much. And I'm sure they are worth it. If you haven't watched this show, look it up. As quilters I think you would appreciate their artistry.

2. Perhaps some of you remember "Cannon" , a hit show of the 80's starring Wm. Conrad. Hubbs has an amazing resemblance to Cannon. Not only did our friends and neighbors notice this, but strangers also. Hubbs was a truck driver and has traveled over three million miles. He met his share of celebrities, and during the run of Cannon he was often mistaken for Wm. Conrad and even been approached by people wanting his autograph.

.















3. Now I would like to introduce you to my children. First is Pantha, her husband Bobby and their little girl. On the right is Candleice (candle-ice) second from the left, with her three daughters. She also has a son, two step-sons, two step-daughters, two step-granddaughters and a step grandson. Both of my girls live in West Virginia, just a few miles from each other.

I don't have a decent current picture of my son, Sedate, he is very camera shy. One of those people that won't look at the camera. However, he has agreed that I can take some pictures of him and his girlfriend tomorrow when they are dressed up. So just check back.


4. This is a copy of a pencil drawing of our church, St. John's Evangelical Lutheran. It is very hard to get a good picture of it because it sits on a hill. It is a beautiful building, inside and out.

5. I adore televisions all-time favorite sleuth, Lt. Columbo. I own most of series on dvd and watch them over and over. Of course I have my favorite episodes which I watch the most. I even smell cigar smoke when I think of him. I hear that, stop laughing...my family laughs at me too.

6. We have adopted many cats over the years and at this time four cats "own" us. This is Fritz, our little old lady who went missing for three weeks at Christmas-time last year. She is such a baby, totally a lap cat. Well actually with me, she usually gets on my shoulder.
This is The Kitten. She showed up in Pantha's yard about three or four years ago and they couldn't keep her, so old softy mom took the little thing in. She was just a baby, so cute and cuddly. We had no intention of keeping her but the no-kill shelter had no room for her so she stayed. Nobody came up with a name and The Kitten just stuck. Her and Fritz look a lot alike, but this little girl is about twice as big as Fritz. Totally overweight.

Next we have Ford, the "Boss". He rules the roost, bossing the other cats around as well as the humans. He is a biter and a scratcher. I'm the only one that isn't afraid of him. He is a litter-mate of Fritz. When we got them nineteen years ago they were inseparable, now they pay no attention to one another.

Last we have Lissalu. For some unknown reason she adopted the upstairs bath as her domain. Most nights she sleeps in the sink but occasionally will stretch out in the tub. When she does come down stairs this is her favorite chair and this is actually how she sleeps. Totally funny. It doesn't show in this picture but her eyes are the most beautiful green you have ever seen.

7. I do not own a cell phone, by choice. I had one when Hubbs was still working and I was out in the car alone every day. But I never used it, never had an emergency. And I am totally against people talking on the phone or texting while they are driving. Actually I'm not someone that talks on the phone a lot. Never have been.
8. My Mama owned a craft store called Creative Magic for many years. She was multi talented. I feel blessed to have inherited some of her talent and creativity. She made all my clothes when I was growing up, till I learned to sew, then I made them. She made so many beautiful quilts but they were utilitarian. Most of them were worn out by the time I was interested in them.
9. There are two talents I did not inherit from mama, cooking and crocheting. Believe me she tried but I just wasn't interested. I think by that time I was so into quilting and sewing I just couldn't be bothered to concentrate on things I didn't enjoy. Now I'm sorry I didn't pay attention. All my sisters are talented crocheters, and great cooks. All of my children have inherited the cooking talent. Mama was thrilled to teach Candleice to cook.
10. Christmas is my favorite holiday. I love the sites, sounds and smells of Christmas and we begin celebrating on Thanksgiving. Many, many years ago we started the tradition that someone would teach a Christmas craft after the dishes were done on Thanksgiving day. I think my favorite part is making gifts, which I have already started on for this Christmas.

11. Another of my favorite books is Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult. Is anyone else familiar with her work? I would highly recommend any of her books especially of you enjoy fiction based on current issues.
12. As for television I enjoy "Criminal Minds", "the Closer", CMT and of course " Ace of Cakes" which I forgot to mention under A. Just a little senior moment. lol
13. There are lots of foods under C that I like but instead of listing them I've decided I will pick a favorite and share a recipe with you. That said, my very favorite C food is "Cabbage Casserole". This recipe has been in our family for about 25 years and the first time I was offered to taste it I politely said "no thank you". However Candleice suggested that I just try it, and I've been making it on a regular basis since then.


CABBAGE CASSEROLE
1 lb ground chuck
1 lb hot sausage (you could use sweet)
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium head of cabbage
1 lg. can tomato sauce
1 lg. can Libby's thick and juicy tomato juice
3/4 cup Minute Rice, uncooked

Brown ground chuck, sausage, green pepper and onion till beef is browned and onion begin to soften. Do not drain.
Chop cabbage and place in large oven -proof casserole. Top with beef, sausage, pepper and onion mixture. Pour tomato juice and tomato sauce over all. Top with uncooked rice. Cover tightly and cook one hour. Remove from oven and stir. Return to oven and cook another hour or until cabbage is done. Sometimes it is necessary to add more tomato juice, so check often to make sure it isn't drying out.


Thanks for stopping by. Hope you try the recipe.
Today's thirteen were brought to you by the letter C.
HUGS

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Such cute photos! Fritz looks like my Jasper. I'm also a Columbo fan and belong to St. John Lutheran Church of Amelith.