I apologise for it being two weeks since my first Thursday Thirteen post. I said I would do this every week. As you all know last week was Holy Week which is an extremely busy time for us. I will try to show up here every Thursday from now on. So, as I continue with my self-revelations we proceed to letter B.
1. The street I live on is Broadway. This is a very old and beautiful street, nine blocks long, which is divided down the center with a small park. When we moved here eleven years ago the park had many " hundred year old" trees, but during that time many of the trees fell, making them too dangerous to keep. They were all taken down and replanted but of course they are still small trees. Also in the park are large water fountains which spray water into the air and it falls down into the pools surrounding them. Much like you see in some malls.
2. I have two extra bones in my body. The human body consists of 206 bones, however, my body contains 208. My podiatrist discovered an extra bone in one of my feet when I had xrays. So out of curiosity he xrayed the other foot and sure enough I had a matching extra bone in the other foot.
3. Everyone in our family is an avid reader, so books are an important part of our lives. Hubbs and I spend many evenings with no television, each lost in a book of our choice. I read one or two books a week and hubbs reads at least a book a day since he has retired. My favorite author is Jodi Picoult
4. Our favorite bookstore is Barnes and Noble. It is a day trip for us, so we take our lists and spend several hours there at least once a month, sometimes twice. If we had a local store I would definitely apply for part time work. A side benefit from it being a day trip, we get to stop at Das Dutch Haus for breakfast or dinner, or both. Another benefit for me is the lovely quilt shop located near the bookstore. Hubbs is a dear and always content too sit and read while I lose myself in fabric.
5. We have many book cases in our home. There is one in the dining room which Hubbs inherited from his aunt, which is full of Zane Grey books. We have two bookcases in the bedroom, kind of his and hers, and there is one in the upstairs hall. But this is my favorite one, made by my dad in 1957 .

He made three of these that year, one for mama and one for each of my two oldest sisters who were married. This is the one he made for mama. I keep some of my Christmas books in it plus all of my special Christmas treasures given to me over the years.
6. I have never been to a beach. This does not bother me as I do not like summer heat or sun exposure and I am terrified of water. Those of you who know a little about me know that I'm content to sit here and count snowflakes rather than be on a beach counting grains of sand.
7. My son and I were members of the Bell Choir at our church for many years. I had been a member for a while and we only had one lady that was strong enough to lift the heavy bass bells. DS was a teenager and I don't think anyone expected him to accept the invitation to join but he was thrilled. He played the drums so he had a little musical background. The only reason we are no longer members is they practice at night. DS who is now an adult works as a pizza chef at night and my night vision is exceedingly poor.
8. I have a love affair with antique buttons. I think I have been collecting them since I was about ten and learned to sew. I mean really sew, not just play around when mama sewed my clothes. What fun to run my fingers over the buttons and imagine the clothing they adorned. And then imagine all the places those clothes were worn. It is much like the feeling I get from the feel of fabric between my fingers.
9. My birthday is December 27th and I have always hated sharing my special time with the holidays. My family was always able to make me feel like a selfish little brat because of how I felt and I carried that guilt with me for years. I now belong to a group of people who also share their birthday with Christmas, and they validate my feelings. I no longer feel guilty.
10. I had three babies; Candelice, was born in the 1960's, Pantha was born in the 1970's and Sedate was born in the 1980's. How is that for spreading out your kids. LOL
11. My favorite book beginning with the letter B is the Bible.
12. Television shows that I enjoy are Burn Notice and the Barefoot Contessa.
13. Foods I like that begin with B are Black Bean Soup, Brussel Sprouts and Barbecued Chicken.
I want to take this time to thank you all again for stopping by and for any comments you may make. They mean a lot to me. Today's Thursday Thirteen has been brought to you by the letter B.
4 comments:
I've read one Zane Grey - Riders of the Purple Sage I believe it's called. This list is so fun. Very special those bookcases your father made. My birthday is December 28th! What a fun Thursday Thirteen. How did you get started doing this?
I'm enjoying getting to know you better. Sounds like we have several things in common. I hope you had a good Easter. ~Natalie
What a wonderful way to share YOU with us. I'd love to take you to a beach to explore the wonders and dig some clams and bask in the smell of the salt.
My birthday is Dec. 5th. My mother would end up giving me all my Chrismas presents for my birthday and then have to go shopping again. But her birthday was the 25th. She really understood.
I enjoy reading our alphabet lists. A friend's daughter has a child with a Dec. 26 b'day and each year, they'd have a family gathering but then....6 months later, on June 26, they'd have a "half-birthday" party with all her friends and cake and presents. It was a novelty and lots of fun. (The parents of her friends like it, too, as it was easier to afford a nice gift in June than it was during Christmas week!)
Post a Comment